Welcome! I'm Melissa Gross, a dynamic and interactive teacher and speaker called to lead and encourage Christian women in their walk with the Lord through classes, workshops and retreats incorporating Bible study, devotionals, illustrated Bible journaling, paper crafting and mixed media projects that merge faith and art bringing God’s Word to life so you can find renewed excitement to dive into the Word, use your creative gifts, and apply the Truth as you draw closer to the Lord and serve Him in your everyday life. This site is where I share my everyday adventures, Bible Journaling pages, scrapbook layouts, handmade cards, and other crafty projects, as well as information on my upcoming workshops and events. I also post photos, ramble about books I'm reading, stuff I'm organizing, and other FUN bits & pieces of my wonderful life.

Tuesday, June 24, 2014

The Bridge Tender - book review

I've been reading and enjoying quite a few Christian fiction books this year (as you can see on my Books Read page). I recently completed The Bridge Tender (A Sunset Beach Novel), which I received free from Booklook Bloggers in exchange for an honest review.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0310338409/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=0310338409&linkCode=as2&tag=dalibipi-20&linkId=YTPEODRANA7LOQI4

This book is a quick, easy read about a young widow, Emily, whose husband left an insurance policy with stipulations that the funds be used to purchase a house at Sunset Beach (where the couple spent their honeymoon). In her grief Emily doesn't really have much interest in following through on their dream to buy a house there, however a year after his death she does return and purchase a house.

The story follows her through her first summer in this home as she meets some of the locals and makes friends, including a harried mom of two who lives next door, a pregnant teenage girl with no family to speak of, and a new love . . . who happens to be the actor from her favorite movie that she had a crush on as a teenager! The town is divided over replacing the old swing bridge with a new one, which acts as a metaphor as Emily tries to figure out how to move from her past to a new future. A good book for a summer read.

Over the next week or so, I'm planning a few catch up posts with quick reviews of the other books I've read so far this year (Christian fiction, popular fiction, non-fiction, young adult, etc). What genre(s) of books are you reading lately?

3 comments:

S said...

Sounds pretty good. I've got my nose buried in a mystery as usual.

Karen said...

I've been reading lots of non-fiction about art journaling, mostly. But I did finish our book group novel and am looking forward to the discussion on Friday.

Sandra said...

Sounds like a really good book.

I tend to read either romantic fiction or thrillers. But I love when you do your reviews