Monday, January 12, 2015

The Problem With Page Kits

These first two months of the year, I'll be attending several out-of-town crops. My plan is to put together page kits to work on at these crops so that I can be productive but also enjoy time visiting with friends.

I started by scrolling through some old class materials and printing sample layouts that I want to scraplift or use as a starting point. I then chose a photo (or set of photos) to go with the INSPIRATION and pulled a few papers from my stash to begin a page kit.


Next I add in some coordinating papers from my scrap file and some borders, ribbon or washi tape.


And finally I choose some alphas and a variety of embellishments to complete the kit.


The next step is to slide all these pieces into a page protector. I'm collecting my page kits in an extra 12x12 scrapbook album so they will be easy to transport to the crop.

However, I've discovered a problem with this system! As I'm putting these page kits together, looking at the INSPIRATION pieces, pulling photos, choosing supplies, visualizing my layout . . . I want to scrapbook it NOW! I have everything together and I'm inspired to create. So, after creating ten page kits, I acted on that INSPIRATION and created a layout with the eleventh kit.


Whew - Now I'm feeling much better and think I can put together a few more kits!

Do you create page kits? Is it hard for you to save all those pages to scrap later?

12 comments:

Cheri said...

Yes and Yes! In fact, I'm pulling and packing now for a crop this coming weekend. Not so much page kits as I'm taking my 3 daughters School of Life volume 2 (7-12 grade) albums to work on. So it is more like making sure I have everything school related, all the ephemera, and papers that will work. But I also made up a kit for Jay's 2014 birthday page and I'm so tempted to just put it together!

Karen said...

As soon as I get home, I have plans to create kits for each month that I need to complete for Project Life. I know it will go much faster if I get all the memorabilia, photos, and embellishments together. It's a great plan, and I imagine I'll have the same problem you did---just want to get started!

Susanne said...

That's a nice problem to have. Great page. And enjoy the other 10 when you get to work on them.

Cheryl M said...

Now I can see where that would be a problem. I haven't ever gathered supplies for each page but then again, I don't know of any places near me that have crops, so I haven't had to do that. But I'm sure I'd feel like you and just HAVE to scrap at least one, right?

Barbara Eads said...

I put together page kits ALL the time. In fact, I have about 20 right now just waiting for photos. That way, I can grab one and scrapbook whenever I have a few minutes---rather than spending that time figuring out what I want to use. I love knowing that I have so many ready to go.

Sian said...

I don't put together page kits, but then I've never taken my supplies anywhere so I'm hardly qualified to comment lol. I can just imagine you itching to scrapbook ...

Sandra said...

Sounds like you've got a good plan working for you.

MonicaB said...

I don't do much paper scrapping anymore but I do I digi kits. I put things together in a smart folder in lightroom and when I have time I will put the pages together.

Sandy Trefger said...

That is so true! It is hard to pack of something to do later!

alexa said...

I find it really hard to put together page kits, so admire your ability to do so. I think the most useful one I ever did was just plain white card and some colouring pencils! Hoping you have a great and inspirational time.

Maria Ontiveros said...

I definitely like using page kits, and I'm hoping to sign up for some crops this year.
Rinda

Rachel B said...

I'm always creating page kits and YES it's so hard not to do them right away. Especially when you have a clear picture in your head :)