Welcome! I'm Melissa Gross, a dynamic and interactive teacher and speaker called to lead and encourage Christian women in their walk with the Lord through classes, workshops and retreats incorporating Bible study, devotionals, illustrated Bible journaling, paper crafting and mixed media projects that merge faith and art bringing God’s Word to life so you can find renewed excitement to dive into the Word, use your creative gifts, and apply the Truth as you draw closer to the Lord and serve Him in your everyday life. This site is where I share my everyday adventures, Bible Journaling pages, scrapbook layouts, handmade cards, and other crafty projects, as well as information on my upcoming workshops and events. I also post photos, ramble about books I'm reading, stuff I'm organizing, and other FUN bits & pieces of my wonderful life.

Thursday, July 27, 2017

One Little Word - June & July

I'm excited to be caught up with the prompts in the One Little Word 2017 class! For June, there was a printout with questions to help us evaluate where we are with our word mid-way through the year. I printed the questions on pink paper and wrote my answers in purple ink in keeping with the color scheme I chose at the beginning of the year. I added washi tape to the top and the bottom of the page and also created a transparency to go in my binder before the printout.


Reflecting on my word, I have to admit that I've felt a little disconnected to my word, despite the fact that I've had a very ACTIVE year. I've enjoyed catching up on these prompts because it's given me time to reconnect with the goals I set at the beginning of the year.

The May prompt was a creative meditation where we designed mixed media encouragement cards to add to our binders. I pulled a four-pocket page and cut white cardstock into 4x6 pieces. I wanted to follow along with many of the steps that Ali demonstrated as she created her cards this month, so I pulled a variety of products - paint, stencils, stamps, ink, etc. I enjoyed working through this step-by-step process.


I started with the Tim Holtz star stencil and used white acrylic paint to create the first layer on my cards.


Then I added a layer of light purple paint - it covered a little more the stars than I wanted on the first card, so I made sure to just put a thin layer on the others.


The pink ink and lined stamp I used as the next layer was very light and actually ended up not showing up much on the final cards, however I think that is often the case with mixed media projects. We build layers and some things will be covered up along the way, but the process is extremely therapeutic.


I felt like these light colored cards needed a border, so I chalked the edges with Midnight Confession Powder Puff chalking ink.


I used black StazOn ink and letter stamps to add the encouragement messages I need to remember as I continue my ACTIVE year.


One of my border stamps makes a great arrow stencil, so I used that and the white acrylic paint to point to these messages.


I used a circle stencil and speech bubble rub-ons on the cards to include additional white elements. Word stickers reinforce and add to the messages on each card.


And, finally, I wanted to bring in some pink to go with the colors in my binder, so I searched through my small embellishments drawer and add glittery stars to each card.


As I look forward to the rest of this ACTIVE year, I will Just Move, Have FUN, and Choose Joy, knowing that It's All Good!

3 comments:

Patio Postcards said...

There was lots of activity with creating these cards :)

Thanks for sharing your process. I have been a little more adventurous this year in my creating & I found a brass template in the bottom of my stash "what's this for" basket, so now I have a template & thanks to you I have a process how I might use ... :)

Karen said...

I haven't tried to do anything creative with my OLW for a couple of years. I have four lovely reminders in my studio so it's always in front of me. You do such a nice job of following through with the prompts.

Cheri said...

Just playing a little blog catch-up today on my lunch hour. LOVE the cards for your OLW assignment - kind of missing that I didn't do it this year, although it was feeling too familiar and old and I needed a break.